The MCR aims to form a tight community and the committee organizes a host of events to keep you occupied when you’re not in the library/lab. Regular appearances on the MCR term card – the schedule for all the events held during the term – include:
- Sunday film night
- Welfare Sunday brunch
- Welfare tea
- Friday socials
- Formal hall
A whole host of other events are scheduled as well. Just to give an idea of the variety of events schedule, recent events included:
- Exchange dinners and drinks with other colleges, including Clare College, Cambridge
- ‘Evening abroad’ nights
- Whisky tasting
- Wine and cheese nights
- Trips – to plays, museums and musical performances
- College bops
- Yoga class
The main place to be on college grounds is the MCR building itself, at 87 Banbury Road. It is accessible with your fob. The MCR has its own small kitchen, which is mainly used for Sunday welfare brunch. The building also contains the main MCR room, the party room, the MCR computer room and one of the graduate laundry rooms. The main room is furnished with sofas, Sky TV and a Wii and Xbox. The rooms are rarely unoccupied and you’re bound to find someone friendly to strike up a chat with. The adjacent MCR lawn can be used for croquet and stargazing while waiting for the barbecue to heat up.
The college has its own bar and there are many more pubs and restaurants in Jericho, located 10 minutes to the southwest, and Summertown.
The closest shops and restaurants are in North Parade, 2 minutes from the south side of the college. It’s not to be confused with South Parade, which, in typical Oxford fashion, is 15 minutes to the north, in Summertown. In North Parade you will find:
- The nine-to-nine store, open 7 days a week, for your emergency groceries.
- A newsagents.
- Some take-away sandwich shops and coffee shops.
- A few restaurants.
- Rose and Crown – a pub that has a courtyard at the back and a group party room that can be reserved. They serve food.
- Gardeners Arms – quaint little pub that closes earlier in the night, but offers a different ambiance. It is slower and quieter while having a cosier home feel to it with its carpeted floor. They also serve food.